• Mar 29, 2017, 02:00 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Latest Update on PSN.... Not good!  (Read 5663 times)

mego

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Legend
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mygranturismo.net/20521
    • Awards
Latest Update on PSN.... Not good!
« on: Apr 26, 2011, 01:35 pm »

Hey guys,
It seems that PSN could potentially remain Down for another week.  Great!  Oh, and our personal information has been compromised.  At this point they remain unsure if any credit card information was stolen, but they ask that everyone be on the lookout for unauthorized activity on your bank/credit accounts and place alerts withthe credit bureaus.  Anyway, here is the link to the full official notice:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/ ... -qriocity/

Faye

• Road King
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Latest Update on PSN.... Not good!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2011, 01:53 pm »

It's becoming too much now, really that notice should have come to us when the network was first taken down. It might be up within the week though so I'm sure people can wait a little while longer.

chrislljones

• Road Master
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2011, 02:07 pm »

Im just finding it more of an inconveniance more than anything.  A friend had a good point the other day and I agree with it, wonder if they will give any refunds to PSN plus accounts.  Not that it really matters but would be nice.  Just now want to know if my account was one of the ones the got hold of the information, cause as like so many of us out there will be getting paid at the end of this week.  Oh well have to wait and see.

mego

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Legend
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2011, 02:22 pm »

Absolutely.  This notice should have been posted on day 1.  Even if they only suspect a security breach and/or compromised personal data, that should be sufficient reason to alert all of your PSN members and take action.  In regards to the downtime, I find it excessive.  I have worked for several companies that provide online services and handle massive server infrastructures and in the worst case scenarios you always have a plan in place to minimize downtime and bring your services up ASAP.  This shows that Sony had a pretty lame infrastructure and no disaster recovery strategies to overcome situations like this.  Not to mention the weak network protection and from the tone of the notice it wouldn't surprise me if our passwords were stored in plain text.

Quote from: "Faye"
It's becoming too much now, really that notice should have come to us when the network was first taken down. It might be up within the week though so I'm sure people can wait a little while longer.

stiggypoohs

• Administrator
  • Professional Racer
  • One day midgets will rule the world!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2011, 02:34 pm »

I think its shocking in all fairness but what can you do about it, a big name like Sony and weak security measures with there online facilities and everyone trusts big names of companies. Nothing is "secure" when it comes to the internet, absolutely nothing, what`s "new today" is old news tomorrow. I`ve always followed my own personal way on the internet:-
1) false name
2) false address
3) false email address (See No.5)
4) never ever use a credit card on there, not even for Paypal
5) Never ever ever use a master named email address eg fred.bloggs@btinternet.com, always make a duff hotmail account and route everything through there.

I just hope Sony learn from there mistakes and I pray everyone`s data HASN`T been corrupted.
PSN:- Stiggypoohs
I sometimes lose my sense of direction, you go that way, I`ll go this way... but whatever way we head off into I will meet you in the middle :D

Faye

• Road King
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2011, 03:28 pm »

Quote from: "stiggypoohs"
I think its shocking in all fairness but what can you do about it, a big name like Sony and weak security measures with there online facilities and everyone trusts big names of companies. Nothing is "secure" when it comes to the internet, absolutely nothing, what`s "new today" is old news tomorrow. I`ve always followed my own personal way on the internet:-
1) false name
2) false address
3) false email address (See No.5)
4) never ever use a credit card on there, not even for Paypal
5) Never ever ever use a master named email address eg fred.bloggs@btinternet.com, always make a duff hotmail account and route everything through there.

I just hope Sony learn from there mistakes and I pray everyone`s data HASN`T been corrupted.

Well I used my real name, my address, my email address, but I was smart enough not to use any of my card details, I used my dad's. :)

stiggypoohs

• Administrator
  • Professional Racer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2011, 03:33 pm »

atleast you`ve got brains and used someone elses CC haha
I sometimes lose my sense of direction, you go that way, I`ll go this way... but whatever way we head off into I will meet you in the middle :D

Faye

• Road King
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2011, 03:35 pm »

Well if anything goes wrong I'll find a way to blame my brother.

mego

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Legend
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2011, 03:35 pm »

I predict that the investigation will conclude the attack was performed by PD with the intent to relieve itself from providing updates to Seasonal Events and the Online Dealership.  Hacking and bringing down PSN as a whole proved to be much easier and rewarding to the game developers than producing quality content and updates on a weekly basis for all GT5 fans.  

So there you have it  :lol:

Faye

• Road King
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: Apr 26, 2011, 03:41 pm »

Quote from: "mego"
I predict that the investigation will conclude the attack was performed by PD with the intent to relieve itself from providing updates to Seasonal Events and the Online Dealership.  Hacking and bringing down PSN as a whole proved to be much easier and rewarding to the game developers than producing quality content and updates on a weekly basis for all GT5 fans.  

So there you have it  :lol:

I believe you're the first person that's suggested that possibility.

mego

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Legend
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: Apr 26, 2011, 05:04 pm »

Just trying to bring a humorous perspective to all this nonsense  :D

Quote from: "Faye"

I believe you're the first person that's suggested that possibility.

stiggypoohs

• Administrator
  • Professional Racer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: Apr 27, 2011, 06:45 am »

I see they`ve released information..... finally:-

The latest information on the PlayStation Network service outage.

Thank you for your patience while we work to resolve the current outage of PlayStation Network & Qriocity services. The following email has been sent to all PSN registrants; please read the help and support FAQ for more information.

Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer:

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:

1)     Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;

2)     Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and

3)     Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state/province, zip or postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity passwords and login and handle/PSN online ID.  It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained.  If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time, we cannot rule out the possibility.  If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, to be on the safe side we are advising that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may also have been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security, tax identification or similar number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking.  When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password.  Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant to review your account statements and to monitor your credit or similar types of reports.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience.  Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority.  Please contact us at uk.playstation.com/psnoutage should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,
 Sony Network Entertainment and Sony Computer Entertainment Teams

Sony Network Entertainment Europe Limited (formerly known as PlayStation Network Europe Limited) is a subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited the data controller for PlayStation Network/Qriocity personal data.

....... Atleast they`ve owned up and are working rapidly on it but they`ve got to rebuild everything so looks like to me as though no online gameplay for atleast another 2 weeks. :(

Bruggenwirth

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Driver
  • ʕ ᴥʔ .. Raaawr!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bruggenwirth-fotografie.nl
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: Apr 27, 2011, 07:15 am »

I'm really happy I still have to do some finishing on my Dragon Age 2 game.. This is why I love having offline games too ... instead of relying on PSN :)

it still sucks like HELL!

AndyT

• Professional Roadhog
  • Global Moderator
  • Professional Racer
  • Drive hard or drive home!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mygranturismo.net/user_sheet.php?id=9269
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: Apr 27, 2011, 07:58 am »

This is a very good article, worth reading:   http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/ga ... intcmp=239

My GT5 Garage contains http://www.mygranturismo.net/9269

mego

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Legend
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: Apr 27, 2011, 08:45 am »

Thanks for sharing that article Andy.  It was very informative.  Hopefully this massive breach inspires Sony to re-build the network with the most secure protocols and encryption to ensure customer information is protected.

crazy gamesriddles and jokesdeath psychic!mad triviaatheismfunny picturesmodern war!pregnancy testshape testdivorce help