• Dec 16, 2018, 03:50 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A real challenge - are you up for it?  (Read 9971 times)

waddy2001

• Trusted Traders
  • Road King
  • Can't touch this.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: A real challenge - are you up for it?
« Reply #15 on: Sep 27, 2013, 11:51 am »

My best last night was 2nd by 0.2s! Was I p1ssed!  ;D  I was tired & it was also a very scruffy race. Should crack it tonight & I'll also put the car on share, Gonna try Andys car as well...
Hammer the lead rabbit if you can get close to him. Hahaha. That is the only way I won back when this was new. You and Andy both use manual so you'd have a bit of an advantage there but for me, one missed shift screws it all up. If I had a gated gearbox, not sure if the G27 has one or not, it might help. I have to take my eyes off the road to see the gear I'm in, even if it's just a fraction of an inch it still upsets things a bit. I had some fun with the seasonals yesterday, the '80s Japanese one, no challenge really, so I'm back to London tonight.
Age before beauty.

waddy2001

• Trusted Traders
  • Road King
  • Can't touch this.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: Sep 30, 2013, 09:41 am »

My best last night was 2nd by 0.2s! Was I p1ssed!  ;D  I was tired & it was also a very scruffy race. Should crack it tonight & I'll also put the car on share, Gonna try Andys car as well...

I got your note on PN but it's too hard to type there. Hahaha. I tried Andy's, didn't do any better for me but I've found that tunes are very individual and suit a style, not everyone. I've got one that will give me 2nd but 5 seconds out. That's on laps of 1:05, not the magic 1:04 that I need to win. It's fun trying, for me anyway.
If you remember this event from when it first came out, you could win or get very close if you passed the P11 by the first corner. That won't happen now, so you know how out of whack the update made everything. First pass is now halfway down the straight after the first corner, right? Once I beat it, I'll put my car on share to see if it's the same or better than Andy's. Both of you are better drivers than I am so if I get 2nd with 1:05s, you should be able to beat it easily.
Age before beauty.

AndyT

• Professional Roadhog
  • Global Moderator
  • Professional Racer
  • Drive hard or drive home!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mygranturismo.net/user_sheet.php?id=9269
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: Oct 01, 2013, 07:26 am »

You use auto gearbox or manual? And any driving aids?

My GT5 Garage contains http://www.mygranturismo.net/9269

waddy2001

• Trusted Traders
  • Road King
  • Can't touch this.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: Oct 02, 2013, 07:32 am »

You use auto gearbox or manual? And any driving aids?
No aids. SRF is on by default, of course but that's it. I use auto. If I had the G27 I probably would switch to manual but with just 'up and down', I can't see or feel what gear I'm in unless I look and that takes my eyes off the road, even just for a fraction of a second. When I started GT5, I didn't have a wheel so auto was the only way to go and I've used it ever since. It's faster for me anyway if I miss a shift.
I got 2nd, 4 seconds back last night on laps of 1:15 but the first lap always kills me. Have to get it down a bit somehow. 2nd lap, as you know, is always faster. It also depends on the rabbits. Sometimes there are two far ahead, sometimes one. This whole thing is a time waster till GT6 comes out anyway. Always learning.
Age before beauty.

AndyT

• Professional Roadhog
  • Global Moderator
  • Professional Racer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: Oct 02, 2013, 08:04 am »

I am wondering if it's the auto gearbox that is costing the time here?

I really only use the paddleshift these days, so I may try re-running the same race with auto gearbox to see what the laptimes are, it could be that y'know.

waddy2001

• Trusted Traders
  • Road King
  • Can't touch this.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: Oct 02, 2013, 11:53 am »

I am wondering if it's the auto gearbox that is costing the time here?

I really only use the paddleshift these days, so I may try re-running the same race with auto gearbox to see what the laptimes are, it could be that y'know.
Could be. I will give it a shot to see but I think the missed shifts will slow me down even more. Oh, I can't use the replay. It's on a EU machine and I have the North American machine. You are PAL and I am NTSC. Damn! Thanks anyway.
Age before beauty.

Jaywalker

• Road King
  • If it's too loud, you're too old...
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: Oct 04, 2013, 02:57 am »

I also used to use auto. Once I changed, I could NEVER go back. (I'm sure it's costing you time.) Give it a go. Change gears by ear. (You get used to the individual cars rev limits.) I'm sure this will help. I reckon the rabbit can be well & truly hammered with a bit of effort. I only had a cursory try with Andy's car. I'm sure you can do it! :)

P.S. I'll be around on Saturday this week if anything's going down...

waddy2001

• Trusted Traders
  • Road King
  • Can't touch this.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: Oct 04, 2013, 07:18 am »

I also used to use auto. Once I changed, I could NEVER go back. (I'm sure it's costing you time.) Give it a go. Change gears by ear. (You get used to the individual cars rev limits.) I'm sure this will help. I reckon the rabbit can be well & truly hammered with a bit of effort. I only had a cursory try with Andy's car. I'm sure you can do it! :)

P.S. I'll be around on Saturday this week if anything's going down...
Thanks Jay. I meant to actually hit him with your car. That's what I did the first time I won, on the very last corner. He was going to slip ahead but I changed his direction, in a manner of speaking. Hahaha. I'll try manual and see what happens.
The latest TT should be fun. I got silver on the first go round but can't seem to get better than that. If you download the replay of the 10th time, approx., you'll get an idea of where you can go off the course and not get a red. Italian cars on Monza, can't get much better than that.
Age before beauty.

stiggypoohs

• Administrator
  • Professional Racer
  • One day midgets will rule the world!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: Oct 04, 2013, 12:11 pm »

I got a present for jay haha
PSN:- Stiggypoohs
I sometimes lose my sense of direction, you go that way, I`ll go this way... but whatever way we head off into I will meet you in the middle :D

stiggypoohs

• Administrator
  • Professional Racer
  • One day midgets will rule the world!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: Oct 04, 2013, 12:22 pm »

Sorry Jay I released a gremlin hehe  :o
PSN:- Stiggypoohs
I sometimes lose my sense of direction, you go that way, I`ll go this way... but whatever way we head off into I will meet you in the middle :D

Jaywalker

• Road King
  • If it's too loud, you're too old...
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: Oct 05, 2013, 08:57 am »

LOL! Haven't been online today yet. I'll check & chat later...

AndyT

• Professional Roadhog
  • Global Moderator
  • Professional Racer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: Oct 09, 2013, 02:15 pm »

Okay, seeing how nobody was online racing tonight (apart from Jay who I missed seeing his message, sorry dude!), I decided to have a crack at this "manual vs auto" theory.

Sat down and first attempt at this using manual, won it by 1.7 seconds.

Then the very next race, exact same car, same grid line-up, everything, tried it with auto gearbox... won by 0.3 seconds. Tried it a few times using auto, lost some by 0.5s, won some by 0.1s or 0.2s

I've saved both replays, for a future upload to youtube, to show the differences. For me, the auto box holds gears too long, plus I tend to use "engine braking" by shifting down early, to help slow and rotate the car into tight corners.

So it shows that, for me at least, using auto is significantly slower than manual.

In this particular case, it's 2 seconds over a 5 lap race, which makes the difference between winning and losing.

"No difference between manual and auto? Myth Busted!"   8)

waddy2001

• Trusted Traders
  • Road King
  • Can't touch this.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: Oct 09, 2013, 05:06 pm »

Okay, seeing how nobody was online racing tonight (apart from Jay who I missed seeing his message, sorry dude!), I decided to have a crack at this "manual vs auto" theory.

Then the very next race, exact same car, same grid line-up, everything, tried it with auto gearbox... won by 0.3 seconds. Tried it a few times using auto, lost some by 0.5s, won some by 0.1s or 0.2s

I've saved both replays, for a future upload to youtube, to show the differences. For me, the auto box holds gears too long, plus I tend to use "engine braking" by shifting down early, to help slow and rotate the car into tight corners.

So it shows that, for me at least, using auto is significantly slower than manual.

In this particular case, it's 2 seconds over a 5 lap race, which makes the difference between winning and losing.

You're right about the auto holding the gears too long and not downshifting. A true auto has a kickdown setting in the accelerator which would be good for GT5 but you still can't downshift to use engine braking as you can on a manual. I've rarely, if ever, used engine braking in real life due to the damage it can do but on GT5 it's probably worth a try. Without a clutch, however, you're basically using a shiftable auto, some cars actually have that, so I wish there was a setting to drive 'semi-auto' instead of full manual or full auto. I've given up on this for now, closest was about 3.2 seconds back. You'll laugh because I actually won a car because of the number of times I've done it or the total mileage travelled. You've never won one of those, probably, but I have won quite a few. I'm persistent, if anything. Hahaha
Age before beauty.

waddy2001

• Trusted Traders
  • Road King
  • Can't touch this.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: Oct 23, 2013, 03:10 pm »

I revisited this after the upgrade and, believe it or not, it seems different. I came second using auto but only by about 2 or 3 seconds, times I can make up fairly easily.
Another difference is in the 550PP Italian Classic, the one with older cars not the one with the Gallardos. I use that to make credits, 1.7 million in 8 minutes using a Miura at 485 PP. Anyway, I've raced that at least 50 times and I've never seen three Miuras as rabbits. Now there are three, at least in one configuration, making four counting the one I'm driving. I just bought a new Miura so I'm grinding there for credits, Laguna Seca is the best. So, the upgrade did a couple of things anyway, just as it took away stuff before.
Age before beauty.

AndyT

• Professional Roadhog
  • Global Moderator
  • Professional Racer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: Oct 23, 2013, 03:26 pm »

I suspect PD are now using GT5's updates as "fine tuning" for GT6, in terms of PP rating formulae and AI behaviour.

I mean, it's a bit late in the day to be refining GT5 with updates for any other reason?

crazy gamesriddles and jokesdeath psychic!mad triviaatheismfunny picturesmodern war!pregnancy testshape testdivorce help